What possessed me to make this? Not entirely sure, I think I saw a picture, fell in love, and decided it would be much cheaper to make it on my own than to fly to NYC and eat it. Plus, I wanted to be able to tell my children, if I ever even have children, that this one time I made Lasagne FROM SCRATCH. Because I was more interested in staying at home on a Friday night and doing that, then going out and doing whatever it is that mid-to-late-twenty-year-olds are doing.
JK I go out, but I also love staying home and cooking.
Anyways – there were many parts to this – there was the actual lasagne part, the meat filling part, and the beschamel (white) sauce part and the part where you have to wait and just drink wine because there’s nothing else going on but waiting. Also please note, this is a two day process – make the pasta the night before, and everything else can be done the next day (because you have to dry the pasta…duh)
Check out the recipe here I used the recipe for Bechamel and Pasta from them. But the Ragu – I think my Ragu was just sort of ‘let’s try this and hope it turns out ok’ sort of situation. Below is what I remember best.
Lean Turkey Ragu
– 1 lb groud turkey meat or use TOFU (make sure it’s firm tofu)
– 1 hot italian sausage
– 1 carrot chopped
– 1 rib of celery chopped
– 1/2 white onion chopped
– 1/2 cup chopped parsley
– Olive Oil
– Salt and Pepper to taste
– Crushed Red Pepper
– Tomato Paste one can
– Tomato sauce
– Paprika for flavoring
– Place a spoonful or so of olive oil in a pot, add onion, carrot and celery, cook till slightly browned
– In a separate pot cook the meat, once brown add in the sautéed vegetables
– Add tomato paste can and tomato sauce
– Add in crushed red pepper, salt and pepper
– Once its boiling, add the parsley and cook for a few minutes – take off stove
– Use pam or butter to line baking dish
– Bechamel Sauce, layer of pasta, layer of ragu, CHEESE (best to use fresh mozzarella again) repeat repeat repeat and top with bechamel and cheeseeeee