I have always struggled with my weight. I’m not a naturally skinny girl, though I honestly really wish I was. I know love your body love your curves blah blah. Doesn’t change the way I feel in my heart of hearts, I still wish I was a skinny girl with legs that never ended, a thigh gap, and a flat non flabby stomach. That’s what I want.
Back to this though. As a result of my continued effort to ‘be thin’ and also be money savvy (shares not sandwiches, shoes not sandwiches) I make my own lunches for work. Usually it’s the same sad taco salad but every now and then I’ll mix it up. This week was one such week.
I decided I wanted to do quinoa, with garlic spinach and chipotle tofu.
– Quinoa about one cup I think (Red, White, Mixed – any works)
– 1/2 white onion chopped finely
– 1 package spinach ( I use the Trader Joe’s package)
– 4 garlic cloves chopped
– 1 package firm tofu
– Chipotle Marinade (click here for recipe)
– Olive Oil
– Chop tofu in cubes and place chipotle marinade – set aside and let marinade for about 2 hours or so – you can marinate for how little or long you want – doesn’t really matter..
– Cook the quinoa – set aside
– Saute onion in olive oil
– Combine the quinoa and onion together, season with salt- set aside
– Saute the garlic and spinach in pan, and cook will spinach wilts – set aside
– Preheat oven to 350 and cook tofu for 35-40 minutes
Place some of the quinoa onion mix into bowl, and add some spinach, top with tofu – ta da lunches for the week!
The thing is, I always always always end up with leftovers, and I don’t know what to do with those left overs. In today’s instance, I was left over with A LOT of the quinoa mixture , so I did what any normal person would do, I made quinoa burgers. I mixed in a can of garbanzo beans, made a flax seed egg (combining a tbsp of ground flax seed with water) added some cayenne and garlic powder. Mush it all together, and make into little balls – skillet fry them up and YUM. Quinoa burgers. So now I have dinner for the week too. I feel accomplished.
Yes, that is ranch on the quinoa burger so I guess the health factor went out the window…